Submit an Invention
- The Invention Report Form provides the OTC with basic information about the invention, allows us to assess patentability and commercial potential, and supports the patent filing decision. As seen below, the process includes 3 easy steps.
- Once your innovation or discovery has successfully completed all three of these steps, the OTC will begin working with you to commercialize your invention via an industry license, a start-up company, or other means.
- We strongly encourage inventors to submit an Invention Report Form before any public disclosures (lecture, posters, presentations, meetings with industry, etc.) that may adversely affect the patentability of an invention. However, even if you have already disclosed your idea, it is still possible to receive protection, so please contact us anyway!
View Your Inventions
UK Inventors can view their past inventions through the Sophia system accessible here. Login using a link blue account is required.
Access all of your invention reporting history using OTC's online portal. The portal can be accessed using your Linkblue login. If you have any issues with your invention account views, please contact the Intellectual Property Coordinator.
Income Distribution Process
License and royalty income derived from the commercialization of UK inventions is distributed according to UK's Administrative Regulations as follows:
- Income Received from Licensee
- Income Distributed to Inventors (40%)
- Following payment of patent expenses, distributions occur by the end of December and June of each fiscal year
- Income Distributed to Colleges (20%) and Departments (20%)
- Distributions occur by the end of July and January of each fiscal year
OTC Technology Commercialization Process
The OTC’s technology commercialization process follows best practices in technology transfer, licensing and new venture development. Utilizing years of successful licensing and start-up experience, our efforts are collaborative with inventor input and involvement. Please reach out to our technology commercialization team to learn more about how we can help accelerate industry adoption of your invention.
- Inventor researches and discovers innovation
- Inventor discloses innovation to the OTC
- OTC completes a technology and market assessment of the innovation
- OTC pursues appropriate IP protection
- OTC develops and implements a commercialization strategy for licensing the innovation to a start up or to an established company